Monday, December 18, 2006

Bad Christmas Ideas, Part 1

The list could go on year round, but we'll probably just go for a couple of days (while I'm in the spirit of the holidays).

This first one isn't even funny, it just gets me upset. Check out this article on a new video game tied to the "Left Behind" series of books sent to me by my good friend Mike.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/12/MNG8TMU1KQ1.DTL

Did someone not get the memo that mowing people down with a gun is not a WWJD kind of act?

Ok, so you lose some "spirit points" if you do that instead of "converting" them. Honestly, I haven't played the game so I am relying on this article and other news sources (my pc admittance for the following rant). But, please, how much worse can an interpretation of Revelation get?

Why do we have to throw in violence just to try to get something Christian in the mainstream? It just seems like that Crusade spirit won't die. I wonder how these same people who came up with the idea and produced the game would feel if other religious groups used the same principles in a game for them?

Once again, it also shows that the categorization of people and the "us vs. them" mentality is a part of the brokenness of humanity that slides in under the gun, so to speak. My new quote from Mother Teresa in the signature of emails says it much better than I could:

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."

Give peace a chance this holiday season.

Digg this

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Not that it matter, but I think I'll take credit for turning Mike onto this article. Mainly because it is SO ridiculous.

And of course it doesn't promote prejudice and racism at all. The creators say so.

Anonymous said...

"There is a bomb in Gilead..."